RELIGION, NATION, MARRIAGE: THE LOYALTIES OF MEN
PRAY, WORK, STUDY, PROTECT: THE DUTIES OF MEN


Sunday, February 12, 2012

A. Lincoln knew the Bible by heart

In 1864 President Lincoln told his old friend Joshua Speed

"Take all of this Book upon reason that you can, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier and better man."
Harry Truman was another who often read through the entire Bible, including seven times while living in the White House. His first speech to Congress concluded:

"I humbly pray God in the words of King Solomon, 'Give therefore Thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people, that I may discern good and bad: for who is able to judge this Thy so great a people?' I ask only to be a good and faithful servant of my Lord and my people."

No comments:

Post a Comment